Friday, January 13, 2012

4:53 pm on Jan. 12, 2010 --Changed Haiti Forever

On Jan. 12, 2010...... 

• A massive earthquake struck Haiti at 4:53 p.m.
• The 7.0 magnitude quake's epicenter hit just 10 miles west of Port-au-Prince and its 2 million inhabitants.
• One out of every 10 people in Port-au-Prince died
• It was the strongest earthquake in that region since 1770
• 3 million people in need of emergency aid after major earthquake
• The major quake sent 33 aftershocks ranging in magnitude from 4.2 to 5.9
• 316,000 people died
• Since the earthquake, 500,000 people have been infected and 7,000 killed by cholera which was traced back to a UN team from Nepal that came to help



It's strange how one year can change your perspective......last year on Jan. 12, 2011, I felt sad as I remembered all the people who died in the earthquake. I most likely watched a few YouTube videos on the destruction and moved on to my next day. But, this year on Jan. 12, 2012, I had a different perspective. I have had the privilege to meet families who have been forever changed by the Haiti earthquake.These families are now part of my support system for my adoption journey =) 

This past summer I attended the GLA reunion in August where I met some families whose adoptive children were part of the "Haiti 80".  Eighty children from GLA came to the USA shortly after the earthquake to be united reunited with their forever families.

The families AMAZING stories are told on the GLA blog through the blog post, titled:

Two Years Since the Quake- Parents Look Back , is most definitely a MUST read!!! (Click on the title, it is linked to the post page).

Thank you sooo much to all who worked hard to bring the stories to us!!!!

Please join me as I continue to pray for the families of the "Haiti 80" and the people of Haiti.  


No comments:

Post a Comment