Monday, December 24, 2012

Meeting Kimberlie Was a MUCH Better Reason!

My trip to Haiti was for two reasons- one to meet Kimberlie and the other was for some required appointments in order to continue in the adoption process to bring my beautiful Kimberlie HOME!!! 

This is basically what happened on the day, 12-12-12, as we (Jenn, Wendy and myself) went to our appointments. Thank you Wendy for writing this on FB - I also added some details: 

 We left the guest house about 6:20 am because my US Embassy appointment was for 7:30 am. The only thing I could bring in the Embassy was my passport and other paperwork required for the appointment. No food, drink of iPhones allowed! Magaly, who works for GLA went with us (Jenn, Wendy and I) to the Embassy. We sat a waited I was called up to the window twice. I am assuming the first time was a registration or checking in of sorts. A woman asked me a few questions and then I sat down again to wait some more. The second time was more of an interview. He asked me my address and I started giving him the address of my house I grew up in =). The man had a form he completed as he asked questions about where I was at with the adoption process, if I had met my child yet, etc. He was nice. I just stood at the window and answered the questions through the glass. There was about 28 windows and the room was about 2/3 full with primarily Haitian people that were waiting for interviews as well. The Embassy took about 3 hours total for all three of us that were there for our adoptions counting waiting times, registrations and interviews.  

The next stop was the civil court. Upon arrival to the court building, Mr. Terriot (from GLA) led us to a small waiting room and gave some files to the assistant at the desk. We sat in the waiting room for about an hour or so. Then a man came and apologized that it was taking so long, and letting us know the judge was very busy. A short time later he came back and asked for our passports. About 10-15 minutes later he came back with our passports. That was it- yep, seriously, that was it!

At this point in the day we were all getting really tired but wanted to try to go to our final required appointment for the trip so we could spend whole next day with the kids. The final stop to see Judge Bob.

So, Mr. Terriot drove us to Kenscoff for the last appointment with Judge Bob. Kenscoff is town higher up in the mountains beyond GLA. When we got to Kenscoff, Mr. Terriot made a phone call and a bit later a man (not Judge Bob, but from what I could gather, it was his assistant ) came out of a house with a big book. He put the book on the hood of a vehicle and then he wrote some stuff in the book had one of us sign it and write our passport numbers in it, (each of us also wrote the date and printed our names as well as signing them just to make sure that we had all the right info in there if US Embassy ever sent someone to check out the information) then he did the same thing on the next two pages for the other two adoptive parents to sign. That was the local court appointment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment